According to the reports, the channel was designed to ensure the safe passage of commercial vessels and to prevent misunderstandings at sea . The agreement followed weeks of negotiations in Switzerland that had produced a 14-point interim agreement and a 60-day ceasefire
.
The following day, June 27, the IRGC issued a categorical denial. Brigadier General Mohebbi, the IRGC spokesman, wrote on social media that reports of a direct line between Iran and the United States were "categorically false" and "strongly rejected" . He called the claims "pure lies," adding: "This has not happened and will not happen. The Strait of Hormuz is Iranian territory and has no connection whatsoever with America"
.
This created a clear and unresolved factual contradiction: mediators and multiple news outlets said the line existed; Iran's military leadership said it did not.
On June 25, an Iranian drone or missile struck a cargo vessel — the M/V Ever Lovely — in the Strait of Hormuz . On June 26, the United States launched retaliatory airstrikes against Iranian missile and drone storage sites and coastal radar sites
. President Trump called Iran's attack a "foolish violation" of the ceasefire
. The UN halted its escort of ships through the strait
. The Institute for the Study of War assessed that Iran was using force to maintain control over the waterway in the immediate term
.
On June 26, mediators and news agencies reported that a US–Iran communication line in the Strait of Hormuz had been activated to avoid incidents. On June 27, the IRGC rejected those reports as false. All of this unfolded alongside active US strikes on Iranian targets and a fragile, deteriorating ceasefire. The contradiction remains unresolved, and verification depends on which source one trusts — mediators and international outlets, or Iran's military leadership.