A grenade exploded at Sham e Hedayat private school in Kabul’s Dasht e Barchi neighborhood on 17 August 2026, injuring at least 42 children aged 9–14; early local reports said up to 52 people were hurt, and no perpetr... A health source said the grenade was thrown from an alley opposite the school into its courtyard...
Research answer

Create a landscape editorial hero image for this Studio Global article: What is known about the hand-grenade attack at approximately 4:30 p.m. on Monday at Sham-e-Hedayat private school in Kabul’s predominantly H. Article summary: On 17 August 2026, an explosion struck Sham-e-Hedayat private school in Kabul’s predominantly Hazara and Shiite Dasht-e-Barchi area as pupils were leaving at about 4:30 p.m. Available evidence supports a grenade explosio. Topic tags: general, news, general web. Style: premium digital editorial illustration, source-backed research mood, clean composition, high detail, modern web publication hero. Use reference image context only for broad subject, composition, and topical grounding; do not copy the exact image. Avoid: logos, brand marks, copyrighted characters, real person likenesses, fake screenshots, UI text, readable text, watermarks, charts with fake numbers
An explosion at Sham-e-Hedayat private school in Kabul’s western Dasht-e-Barchi neighborhood injured dozens of people as students were leaving on 17 August 2026. The strongest available UN-linked casualty figure is at least 42 children aged 9 to 14; earlier Afghan media reports put the total number of injured people as high as 52.
The blast has been identified as a grenade explosion, but the person responsible, the motive and the precise circumstances remain unresolved.
The explosion occurred at about 4:30 p.m. local time in the courtyard of Sham-e-Hedayat private school in Mahdia Township, in Dasht-e-Barchi’s District 13. Health sources cited by local reporting said students had been dismissed from their classes when a grenade was allegedly thrown from a narrow alley opposite the school into the courtyard.
That account describes the reported trajectory of the grenade, not a confirmed reconstruction of the attack. Afghanistan’s Directorate of Mine Action Coordination reportedly examined the scene and confirmed that a grenade had exploded, consistent with information attributed to Kabul police.
Casualty figures varied in the first reports:
The difference may reflect changing early counts, different definitions of the affected group or separate reporting from hospitals and witnesses. The UN’s age-specific figure is the clearest later assessment available in the supplied reporting, but it does not necessarily settle the broader total of injured people.
No group had claimed responsibility in the reporting reviewed.
Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said the Islamic State or groups affiliated with it may have carried out the explosion. He also said an investigation was under way and that Taliban security forces were working to identify and arrest those responsible. The statement presented Islamic State involvement as a possibility, not as a confirmed attribution.
Mohammad Mohaqeq, leader of the Islamic Unity Party of the People of Afghanistan, condemned the blast and called for an independent investigation. Reporting on his reaction also said he placed responsibility on the Taliban as the de facto authorities controlling security—an allegation, not an established finding.
Dasht-e-Barchi is a predominantly Hazara and Shiite area of western Kabul that has repeatedly experienced violence against religious and ethnic minorities. Human Rights Watch has documented repeated Islamic State-Khorasan Province, or ISKP, attacks against Hazaras and other religious minorities at schools, mosques and workplaces.
The neighborhood’s history includes the 2021 bombing near Sayed ul-Shuhada girls’ school and the 2022 bombing at Abdul Rahim Shahid High School. Those earlier attacks are part of the context behind concerns about a possible ISKP motive, but they do not establish that ISKP carried out the Sham-e-Hedayat blast.
Richard Bennett, the UN special rapporteur on human rights in Afghanistan, condemned what he described as a heinous attack harming children and said a full, independent investigation was essential to bring those responsible to justice.
The UN Assistance Mission in Afghanistan likewise called for an investigation into the circumstances of the explosion. The calls reflect the central evidentiary gap: the grenade has been identified, but there is no publicly verified account of who threw it, whether the school was deliberately targeted or whether any group directed the attack.
The explosion came on 17 August, shortly after the fifth anniversary of the Taliban’s return to power in Kabul on 15 August 2021. Protests marking that anniversary were reported in several cities abroad amid criticism of Taliban human-rights policies.
That timing is relevant political context, but it is not evidence that the anniversary, the protests or any associated actor caused or directed the school explosion.
The available evidence supports the conclusion that a grenade exploded at the school and that at least 42 children were injured. It does not yet establish:
Until those questions are answered, the responsible account is a confirmed grenade blast with severe child casualties—but no confirmed perpetrator or motive.
Studio Global AI
This page includes a source-backed answer you can continue inside Studio Global.
A grenade exploded at Sham e Hedayat private school in Kabul’s Dasht e Barchi neighborhood on 17 August 2026, injuring at least 42 children aged 9–14; early local reports said up to 52 people were hurt, and no perpetr...
A grenade exploded at Sham e Hedayat private school in Kabul’s Dasht e Barchi neighborhood on 17 August 2026, injuring at least 42 children aged 9–14; early local reports said up to 52 people were hurt, and no perpetr... A health source said the grenade was thrown from an alley opposite the school into its courtyard as students were leaving, but authorities have not independently established who threw it or how it reached the site.
Taliban officials raised the possibility of Islamic State involvement, while the UN and local political figures called for a full, independent investigation.