The latest claim follows the Houthis’ July 20 announcement of a maritime embargo against Saudi Arabia. The group said the measure was retaliation for what it described as Saudi restrictions on ports and airports in Houthi-controlled parts of Yemen. Houthi officials said the policy applied to Saudi vessels and framed it as “blockade for blockade.”
The group later claimed missile attacks on Saudi-linked tankers, including the NCC GHAZAL, which it said was forced to retreat after violating the maritime ban. The UN Security Council Report also recorded Houthi claims of attacks on the Saudi-linked tankers Encelia and Layla in July.
The campaign has not been confined to ships. On August 9, the Houthis said they used a drone to target Aramco’s Jazan refinery. Saudi authorities confirmed that a fire broke out at the facility and was extinguished, with no injuries reported, but they did not publicly establish the cause or disclose the full extent of damage.
Houthi missile and drone attacks have also struck Mocha, a government-held Yemeni port close to Bab el-Mandeb. The port director said more than 25 missiles hit the facility over several days, forcing commercial and maritime operations to stop. He reported seven deaths and approximately $16 million in losses.
The Yemeni military separately reported seven people killed and 30 wounded in an attack on Mocha and nearby infrastructure. Other reporting described repeated attacks on the port and surrounding government-held areas, underscoring that the escalation is also part of an intensifying internal Yemeni conflict—not only a Saudi-Houthi maritime confrontation.
There have also been deadly attacks on commercial shipping. Yemen’s internationally recognized government said a Houthi strike on the Egyptian-owned Tihamah south of Mocha killed six people and injured 10. Earlier accounts listed four crew deaths, illustrating the continuing discrepancy in casualty reporting.
Saudi officials have warned that the Houthis could coordinate with Iraqi militias in attacks from the south and north, allegedly under the supervision of Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps. Reuters described this as an assessment by a senior Saudi official based on intelligence from Saudi Arabia, the United States and other regional countries. It is not independent confirmation that Iran directed these specific attacks or supplied the particular weapons, targeting data or commanders involved.
Some reporting has made more detailed allegations about IRGC commanders, intelligence support and coordination with Iraqi militias. Those claims remain allegations in the material available here and should not be treated as established facts. The clearest confirmed development is that Saudi Arabia is preparing for a wider security challenge while the Houthis continue to claim attacks against Saudi-linked targets.
Riyadh has responded by strengthening partnerships. Saudi Arabia and Turkey and Pakistan signed a defense pact in August, according to reporting, while Saudi Arabia also pursued a multinational maritime-defense initiative for the Red Sea and Gulf of Aden. Fourteen countries signed a founding statement in late July, although the coalition’s precise operational role and the commitments of individual members remain unclear.
Saudi Arabia also sought international backing for protecting Red Sea shipping. Reporting on the diplomatic effort said consultations included regional governments, while the composition and final structure of the proposed coalition were still being discussed.
The renewed attacks put Yemen’s fragile post-2022 de-escalation under serious strain. A BBC assessment said the apparent breakdown of the ceasefire-era restraint had already brought Saudi vessels under attack and raised fears of a wider conflict. The Institute for the Study of War described the recent fighting between Houthi and internationally recognized government forces as having remained at low levels since 2023, while warning that the current escalation followed reports of possible Saudi naval and ground action.
A confirmed attack on a Saudi warship, major military casualties or serious damage to oil infrastructure could prompt heavier Saudi strikes or a larger Yemeni ground offensive. The same dynamic could pull in Iran-aligned Iraqi groups and turn a localized confrontation into a broader regional crisis. At the same time, a larger maritime coalition might deter attacks—or create more opportunities for miscalculation between warships, patrol boats and commercial vessels.
Bab el-Mandeb links the Red Sea with the Gulf of Aden and sits on the maritime route connecting Europe and Asia through the Suez Canal. The present evidence does not establish that the strait has been fully closed. But attacks, warnings to vessels, port shutdowns and the prospect of escorts or interceptions can still raise insurance and security costs, delay voyages and encourage ships to take longer routes around the Cape of Good Hope.
That makes the Mocha shutdown significant beyond Yemen. A damaged or closed port directly affects local commerce, while repeated attacks near the strait can alter commercial decisions across the wider Europe-Asia shipping route—even without a formal blockade of all traffic.
The most important indicators are whether Saudi Arabia confirms the August 17 vessel attack, whether independent evidence emerges about the ship’s condition, and whether the new maritime coalition begins visible escort or interception operations.
Those developments would help distinguish between a campaign aimed primarily at coercion and signaling and a sustained military effort capable of producing a broader Red Sea war. For now, the evidence supports a clear conclusion: the confrontation is intensifying, but some of its most consequential claims remain unverified.