At the August 17 Moscow meeting, Ghana said Russia agreed to work on ending the alleged illegal recruitment of Ghanaians for the war in Ukraine. Lavrov said Russian authorities would review Ghana’s request and confirmed that some Ghanaians had signed contracts with Russia’s Defense Ministry, while disputing Ghana’s...
Research answer

Create a landscape editorial hero image for this Studio Global article: What happened during Ghanaian Foreign Minister Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa’s August 17, 2026 meeting with Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov. Article summary: On August 17 in Moscow, Ghana’s Foreign Minister Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa pressed Sergey Lavrov to stop what Accra called the illegal recruitment of Ghanaians for Russia’s war against Ukraine. Lavrov reportedly agreed to . Topic tags: general, news, general web. Style: premium digital editorial illustration, source-backed research mood, clean composition, high detail, modern web publication hero. Use reference image context only for broad subject, composition, and topical grounding; do not copy the exact image. Avoid: logos, brand marks, copyrighted characters, real person likenesses, fake screenshots, UI text, readable text, watermarks, charts with fake numbers
Ghana used an August 17 meeting in Moscow to demand action over what it described as the illegal recruitment of its citizens to fight for Russia in Ukraine. Foreign Minister Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa said Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov agreed to work with Ghana on the issue. The meeting also put a reported Ghanaian toll of 62 dead and 15 missing at the center of the dispute.
Ablakwa said he raised the recruitment of Ghanaian young people directly with Lavrov and left Moscow with a commitment to work jointly to stop what Accra calls illegal recruitment.
The wording indicates a commitment to address the problem, not confirmation that Russia had already halted all recruitment. Russian reporting said the Ghanaian request would be considered by the relevant Russian authorities, with the issue falling under the jurisdiction of the Defense Ministry.
Ablakwa reported that 62 Ghanaians had been killed in the war and that 15 others were missing. Multiple reports of the meeting carried those figures, including accounts citing the ministers’ joint press conference.
The supplied evidence does not establish the total number of Ghanaians recruited since 2022. It also does not provide a reliable, independently verified breakdown of how many remain alive, how many are serving under contract, or how many may have been deceived into joining.
Lavrov confirmed that Ghanaian citizens had signed contracts with Russia’s Defense Ministry, according to reporting on the meeting. He attributed their decisions to a combination of solidarity with Russia and material or financial motivations.
That explanation differs from Ghana’s description of the recruitment as illegal and from reporting that recruitment networks approached Africans through third parties with promises of well-paid civilian work. The available material therefore presents competing accounts of how recruits entered Russian service; it does not independently resolve the extent of deception or coercion in the Ghanaian cases.
Ghana’s complaint is part of a broader dispute involving several African countries. Lavrov said Russia had received similar appeals from South Africa, Kenya and Botswana.
Reporting has described alleged recruitment efforts that used intermediaries and civilian job offers, with concerns raised in Kenya, Ghana and South Africa. Kenya’s intelligence authorities were reported to have identified more than 1,000 Kenyan recruits, although Kenyan officials said they could not provide a precise figure for all citizens involved.
Ukraine’s Foreign Ministry said in August that at least 2,982 people from 37 African countries had been recruited into Russia’s armed forces and that 486 were known to have been killed. Those are Ukrainian figures and should be treated as an allegation or intelligence-based estimate rather than a mutually verified total.
Earlier Ukrainian reporting cited a lower estimate of more than 1,700 Africans fighting for Russia, illustrating that the totals vary by date, definition and source.
The reporting supplied for this meeting describes a pattern in which prospective recruits were approached through third parties and offered civilian employment, sometimes with promises of attractive pay. Other investigations and Ukrainian reporting allege broader tactics involving deception, coercion, education or employment offers, and promises of Russian citizenship or other benefits.
Those accounts describe a wider recruitment system, not proof that every Ghanaian recruit was coerced or deceived. The evidence provided does not substantiate every detailed claim about individual cases, recruiters or recruitment channels.
The talks were not limited to the recruitment dispute. Russia and Ghana also signed an agreement waiving visa requirements for holders of diplomatic and service passports, according to reporting that cited Ghana’s Foreign Affairs Ministry.
Lavrov also said the two countries were preparing a meeting of their intergovernmental commission on trade, economic, scientific and technical cooperation in Moscow before the end of 2026. These parallel agreements show that the recruitment dispute was discussed alongside broader bilateral cooperation, rather than replacing the rest of the diplomatic agenda.
The available sources do not verify:
Ukraine has separately reported that Russia planned to recruit at least 18,500 foreign nationals in 2026, but that figure is an estimate attributed to Ukrainian intelligence, not a confirmed Russian total.
The clearest conclusion from the August 17 meeting is narrower: Ghana placed the recruitment issue directly before Moscow, reported 62 deaths and 15 missing citizens, and secured a Russian commitment to consider the request. Whether that commitment produces verifiable action remains unresolved.
Studio Global AI
This page includes a source-backed answer you can continue inside Studio Global.
At the August 17 Moscow meeting, Ghana said Russia agreed to work on ending the alleged illegal recruitment of Ghanaians for the war in Ukraine.
At the August 17 Moscow meeting, Ghana said Russia agreed to work on ending the alleged illegal recruitment of Ghanaians for the war in Ukraine. Lavrov said Russian authorities would review Ghana’s request and confirmed that some Ghanaians had signed contracts with Russia’s Defense Ministry, while disputing Ghana’s characterization of the recruitment.
The dispute comes amid wider reports of African recruitment networks, deceptive job offers and Ukrainian estimates of nearly 3,000 African nationals recruited into Russia’s armed forces.