Overnight on August 22–23, Lebanese state media reported Israeli artillery, airstrikes and demolition operations in southern Lebanon, with especially extensive damage reported in Bayt al Sayyad. The attacks came amid an increasingly fragile June ceasefire and an expanding Israeli campaign against Hezbollah south of...
Research answer

Create a landscape editorial hero image for this Studio Global article: What happened during Israel’s overnight military operations in southern Lebanon, including the reported use of phosphorus shells, artillery. Article summary: Israel’s overnight operations amounted to a broad escalation across southern Lebanon: Lebanese state media reported artillery fire, airstrikes, demolitions and ground raids, including alleged phosphorus-shell use. The re. Topic tags: general, news, general web, government. Style: premium digital editorial illustration, source-backed research mood, clean composition, high detail, modern web publication hero. Use reference image context only for broad subject, composition, and topical grounding; do not copy the exact image. Avoid: logos, brand marks, copyrighted characters, real person likenesses, fake screenshots, UI text, readable text, watermarks, charts with f
Reports from Lebanon describe the latest overnight operation as a broad escalation rather than a single isolated strike. Lebanon’s National News Agency reported artillery fire, airstrikes, large explosions and demolition operations across parts of the south on August 22–23. The reporting also included an allegation that phosphorus shells were used, but that claim has not been independently verified in the sources reviewed. 68
The heaviest reported artillery fire affected Mansouri, the area around Bayt al-Sayyad and the outskirts of Majdal Zoun. Lebanese state media also reported air raids near the Ali al-Taher heights and continuing drone activity over western and central parts of the south. 6910
Reports described extensive explosions and demolitions in Mansouri, Bayt al-Sayyad and Majdal Zoun. Similar demolition activity was reported in Hadatha, Beit Yahoun and Aita al-Jabal, alongside machine-gun fire toward nearby valleys. 1012
Bayt al-Sayyad was described as particularly badly damaged. Several reports, citing Lebanon’s state news agency, said homes throughout the town had been extensively damaged or destroyed, with one account saying that no house remained undamaged. Those descriptions are attributed to Lebanese reporting and have not been independently assessed here. 81213
Lebanese state media reported that phosphorus shells were used in some of the attacks. Multiple outlets repeated the claim, including reports identifying areas near Kfar Rumman, the Ali al-Taher heights and other parts of southern Lebanon. 6816
The available sources do not independently confirm the munition type, establish exactly where it was used or provide enough detail to determine whether any particular attack violated international humanitarian law. The legal assessment would depend on facts including the target, the nature of the attack, precautions taken and the effect on civilians.
Lebanese officials have nevertheless condemned the wider pattern of attacks, incursions and demolitions as violations of international law and international humanitarian law. That is a political and legal allegation, not a judicial finding.
The overnight strikes came during an unstable ceasefire framework. A June U.S.-brokered agreement made the ceasefire conditional on a complete halt to Hezbollah fire and the evacuation of Hezbollah operatives from the area south of the Litani River, where the Lebanese armed forces were expected to exercise exclusive control. 19
The arrangement was contested from the outset. Reuters reported that Hezbollah rejected the plan while Israel continued strikes and said it would not immediately withdraw from southern Lebanon. UN reporting later said that violations continued despite ceasefire announcements and that Israeli military activity in Lebanon intensified.
The latest large-scale escalation followed the deaths of two Israeli soldiers in southern Lebanon in early August. The Israeli military said an explosive device detonated in an area where its troops were operating; Israeli officials described the subsequent strikes as a response to what they called a Hezbollah violation of the ceasefire. 117
That sequence places the overnight operation within a broader campaign involving airpower, artillery, ground activity, demolitions and displacement orders—not simply a one-night exchange of fire.
The immediate reports focused on destroyed or damaged homes and the risk that residents would be unable to return. Humanitarian organizations have warned that continued shelling, drone strikes and demolitions have left large numbers of people unable to return home even while ceasefire arrangements remain in place.
Reuters reported that Lebanon’s Health Ministry put the death toll in Lebanon at more than 4,300 people since March 2 as of August 15. 18 An earlier UN human-rights update said that more than one million people had been displaced during the first three weeks of the major March escalation.
Those figures cover the wider conflict and should not be presented as casualties or displacement caused by the overnight operation alone. The significance of the latest demolitions is their added effect: damaging homes and civilian property can deepen an already severe displacement crisis.
The broad pattern of artillery fire, airstrikes, explosions and reported demolitions is consistently attributed in the available coverage to Lebanon’s National News Agency and repeated by several regional outlets. The precise scale of the destruction, the identity of every target and the alleged use of phosphorus shells remain less firmly established.
There is also a dispute over the meaning of the ceasefire. Israel has framed its operations as responses to Hezbollah activity and as part of efforts to remove the group from the area south of the Litani River. Lebanese officials and residents have accused Israel of repeatedly disregarding ceasefire commitments and deliberately destroying civilian infrastructure. 119
The clearest evidence-based conclusion is therefore limited but significant: southern Lebanon experienced another reported escalation involving multiple forms of military force, extensive damage to residential areas and serious consequences for civilians, while key allegations about specific weapons and legal violations still require independent investigation.
Studio Global AI
This page includes a source-backed answer you can continue inside Studio Global.
Overnight on August 22–23, Lebanese state media reported Israeli artillery, airstrikes and demolition operations in southern Lebanon, with especially extensive damage reported in Bayt al Sayyad.
Overnight on August 22–23, Lebanese state media reported Israeli artillery, airstrikes and demolition operations in southern Lebanon, with especially extensive damage reported in Bayt al Sayyad. The attacks came amid an increasingly fragile June ceasefire and an expanding Israeli campaign against Hezbollah south of the Litani River, after two Israeli soldiers were killed in southern Lebanon in early August.
Lebanon’s reported toll had exceeded 4,300 deaths since March 2, while UN reporting said more than one million people had been displaced during the March escalation.