The latest operation was not an isolated incident. Reporting since March has described an expanding Israeli campaign against Hezbollah in southern Lebanon, including airstrikes, attacks on homes and infrastructure, and the demolition of parts of towns. The New York Times reported that Israel had said it planned to take control of territory south of the Litani River, a prospect that raised concerns about prolonged occupation and mass displacement.
The June ceasefire did not end the violence. On June 20, Israeli strikes killed at least 20 people according to Lebanon’s state news agency. Israel said those strikes were retaliation for Hezbollah rocket fire; an Israeli military official said the group had launched more than 50 projectiles at Israeli forces in southern Lebanon. R
Israel has also cited attacks by Hezbollah on Israeli troops as grounds for continuing operations. In a separate June account, Reuters reported that Israeli strikes followed what Israel described as attacks by Hezbollah against its forces in the south. R
This leaves two competing accounts of the escalation: Israel presents its operations as responses to Hezbollah attacks and threats to its forces, while Lebanese authorities and residents describe the continuing strikes, destruction and displacement as violations of Lebanon’s sovereignty and the ceasefire framework. The available sources establish those positions but do not independently resolve every disputed incident.
The latest phosphorus-shell allegation comes from Lebanese state-media reporting and should be treated as an allegation rather than a confirmed finding. No independent verification of phosphorus use in the specific overnight operation is provided in the supplied sources.
There is, however, documented earlier evidence concerning white phosphorus. Human Rights Watch said it verified and geolocated eight images showing artillery-fired white-phosphorus munitions over a residential part of Yohmor on March 3, with civil-defence workers responding to fires in homes and a vehicle. Reuters reported that the Israeli military said it was unaware of, and could not confirm, the deployment of shells containing white phosphorus. R
That earlier evidence is relevant context, but it should not be used to present the latest allegation as independently proven. The strongest evidence-supported conclusion is narrower: white-phosphorus use was documented by Human Rights Watch in Yohmor in March, while the reported use during the latest overnight attacks remains unverified.
The supplied sources report several different totals, reflecting different dates and counting methods. On June 10, Reuters cited Lebanon’s Health Ministry as saying that almost 3,700 people had been killed in Israeli attacks since March 2, including 730 women, children or medics. R
By June 27, BBC reporting cited Lebanese Health Ministry figures of at least 4,192 people killed, more than 11,600 injured and more than 1.2 million displaced since the current round of hostilities began. B Because these figures were published at different points and the sources do not provide a single updated cumulative count through the latest overnight operation, they should not be combined into one total.
For the latest Saturday strikes, the clearest reported figures are at least 11 killed and 19 wounded, including three children and two women among those killed in Ansar. BRA The sources supplied here do not establish a reliable cumulative casualty or displacement figure through the most recent overnight attacks.