President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said several drones attacked “deliberately” and “one after another.” In his initial statement, he said all necessary services had been deployed and described the attack as a Russian atrocity.
The available reporting establishes the two-wave sequence and its timing. Ukrainian officials characterized the second strike as an attack on rescuers, but the precise operational intent behind the strikes remains a matter for investigation.
The most recent reported figures in the supplied updates were:
The figures varied during the first hours after the attack. Earlier reports cited 14 or 15 deaths and between 121 and 130 injuries; later updates raised the death toll to 16.
Rescue teams continued clearing debris and searching the damaged shopping centre after the strikes. The missing-person reports made the operation time-sensitive, and officials said the search remained active while information about people who may have been inside the complex was collected.
Kryvyi Rih declared August 23 a day of mourning for those killed in the attack.
Zelenskyy called the sequence “deliberate” and “despicable,” and pledged that Ukraine would respond. He also emphasized that emergency, medical and other essential services had been mobilized at the scene.
Local defence-council head Oleksandr Vilkul reported that people were missing and unreachable. Regional governor Oleksandr Hanzha issued casualty updates as the number of dead and injured rose during the evening.
The language used by Ukrainian officials reflects their assessment of the second strike. Independent reporting confirms the reported interval of about 30 minutes and that rescuers were responding, but it does not by itself establish the attackers’ intent.
The Kryvyi Rih strike was not an isolated incident. A separate Russian attack in Mykolaiv region killed four civilians, including three children aged 11 and 12, according to Ukrainian officials.
The attacks followed a major overnight Russian missile-and-drone barrage on Kyiv and the surrounding region. That assault killed 17 people and injured more than 40, while Ukraine’s air force reported that Russia had launched 168 drones along with cruise, ballistic and hypersonic missiles.
Air-defense capacity was a central concern. In a separate earlier Kyiv barrage, Ukrainian officials said only one of 27 ballistic missiles had been intercepted, and Zelenskyy warned that shortages of interceptor missiles for systems including Patriot were costing lives. That figure should not be treated as an interception rate for the Kryvyi Rih attack itself.
Ukrainian forces also reportedly struck the Novokuybyshevsk oil refinery in Russia’s Samara region and a warehouse belonging to the Russian e-commerce company Ozon. Reporting described the refinery as one of Russia’s ten largest, with annual capacity of about 8.8 million metric tons, while a separate account reported a fire at the Ozon warehouse after a drone attack.
The supplied reporting does not provide a comparably detailed Russian account of the damage or casualties from those incidents. That limits what can be independently concluded about their full impact.
The Kryvyi Rih strike illustrates the immediate civilian danger created when populated urban sites are hit during the day and a second strike follows while first responders are working. The confirmed human cost was severe: 16 deaths, 130 injuries and nine people still missing in the latest supplied updates.
The wider attacks also show why air-defense supplies have become a recurring issue for Ukraine. The available interception figures come from other Kyiv attacks, not from the Kryvyi Rih strike, but they support the broader concern that limited stocks of advanced interceptors can leave cities vulnerable to ballistic missiles and large mixed barrages.
What can be stated with confidence is the sequence of the Kryvyi Rih attack, the evolving casualty toll, the continuing rescue operation and the scale of civilian harm. Claims about the specific intent behind the second strike should remain attributed to Ukrainian officials until further evidence is available.