The Trump administration is reportedly preparing to deny Mahmoud Abbas a visa for his planned September 24, 2026, UN General Assembly address, repeating last year’s restriction. Washington says the 2025 restrictions were based on alleged failures to repudiate the October 7 attack, end incitement to terrorism and aba...
Research answer

Create a landscape editorial hero image for this Studio Global article: What is the Trump administration’s plan to again bar Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas from entering the United States to addres. Article summary: The reported 2026 plan is to deny Mahmoud Abbas a visa to enter the United States for the UN General Assembly in New York—where he is scheduled to speak on September 24—repeating the 2025 exclusion. It is a reported plan. Topic tags: general, general web, government, news. Style: premium digital editorial illustration, source-backed research mood, clean composition, high detail, modern web publication hero. Use reference image context only for broad subject, composition, and topical grounding; do not copy the exact image. Avoid: logos, brand marks, copyrighted characters, real person likenesses, fake screenshots, UI text, readable text, watermarks, charts with
The United States is reportedly preparing to prevent Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas from traveling to New York for the 2026 UN General Assembly, where he is scheduled to speak on September 24. If carried out, it would be the second consecutive year that Washington blocks Abbas from attending the high-level gathering in person. The reporting describes an intended policy, not a fully detailed new State Department announcement.
The expected restriction follows Washington’s 2025 decision to deny or revoke visas for Abbas and approximately 80 Palestinian Authority and Palestine Liberation Organization officials. That earlier move kept senior Palestinian representatives out of the UN’s high-level week but did not prevent Palestine’s participation altogether.
The State Department’s stated rationale in 2025 was that the PA and PLO had failed to meet conditions Washington considers necessary for a peace partnership. The department said the organizations needed to consistently repudiate terrorism, including the October 7, 2023, attack, and end what it described as incitement to terrorism in education.
Washington also objected to Palestinian diplomatic efforts outside direct negotiations with Israel. A later State Department report accused the PA of pursuing international recognition of a Palestinian state and supporting legal and diplomatic initiatives in international institutions in ways it said conflicted with prior commitments to nonviolence and a two-state solution.
Those are the U.S. government’s allegations and policy justifications. The supplied reporting does not establish them as independently adjudicated findings.
The 2025 restrictions affected Abbas and about 80 other Palestinian officials who had expected to attend the General Assembly in New York. The State Department said diplomats based at the Palestinian mission to the UN could receive waivers, preserving the mission’s ability to operate even as senior officials were excluded.
The Palestinian Authority condemned the decision and argued that it violated international law and the 1947 UN Headquarters Agreement. The controversy became a procedural problem for the General Assembly: Abbas could not enter the United States, but Palestine still sought to participate in the high-level debate.
On September 19, 2025, the General Assembly approved a resolution allowing Palestine to submit a prerecorded statement from its president and to participate through videoconference. The vote was 145 in favor, five against and six abstentions. The United States and Israel were among those voting against the measure.
That arrangement enabled Abbas to address the assembly remotely from Ramallah rather than appear in the UN hall in New York.
Abbas reportedly asked Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan to intervene with U.S. President Donald Trump. Turkey is a prominent diplomatic supporter of Palestinian representation, and Erdoğan has a direct channel to Trump. Reports say Erdoğan raised the matter with Trump, but Washington showed no indication that it would reverse the planned restriction.
The available reporting does not provide a separate public U.S. explanation for why the appeal failed. What it does show is that the administration appeared to maintain the same underlying position that produced the 2025 visa restrictions.
The central legal question is whether the United States, as host country, can deny entry to Palestinian officials traveling to UN headquarters while still complying with the 1947 Headquarters Agreement.
Palestinian officials and UN experts have argued that the agreement requires the United States not to impose impediments on representatives’ travel to the UN headquarters district. UN experts specifically urged Washington to grant visas to Palestinian leaders and cited the agreement’s access provisions.
Washington has taken the opposing position: the United States says it can apply visa, security, extremism and foreign-policy restrictions even in the context of UN travel. The result is a serious legal and diplomatic dispute. The visa decision itself does not definitively resolve whether the U.S. interpretation or the Palestinian and UN interpretation is correct.
If Abbas remains unable to travel, the General Assembly may again need to adopt a procedural measure authorizing Palestine to participate remotely through a prerecorded statement or live videoconference. The 2025 resolution was written for participation during the 80th session, so it should not automatically be treated as a standing authorization for a later session.
The practical precedent is therefore clear: a U.S. entry restriction can prevent an in-person address, but the General Assembly may create a separate mechanism to preserve Palestine’s participation. Whether that happens again will depend on the assembly’s action and on whether Washington changes course before the September meeting.
The Abbas dispute is also part of a wider U.S. policy. Presidential Proclamation 10998, effective January 1, 2026, fully or partially suspended entry and visa issuance for nationals of 39 countries and for people applying with travel documents issued or endorsed by the Palestinian Authority.
The framework includes limited exceptions for Palestinian officials connected to the Palestinian mission at the UN, according to State Department-related reporting. That distinction allows the permanent mission to continue its work while leaving senior PA officials and temporary delegations vulnerable to exclusion from high-level events.
That is why the dispute is larger than one leader’s travel plans. It concerns the balance between U.S. immigration and national-security authority, the PA’s diplomatic conduct, and the obligation of a UN host country to facilitate access to the organization’s headquarters.
Studio Global AI
This page includes a source-backed answer you can continue inside Studio Global.
The Trump administration is reportedly preparing to deny Mahmoud Abbas a visa for his planned September 24, 2026, UN General Assembly address, repeating last year’s restriction.
The Trump administration is reportedly preparing to deny Mahmoud Abbas a visa for his planned September 24, 2026, UN General Assembly address, repeating last year’s restriction. Washington says the 2025 restrictions were based on alleged failures to repudiate the October 7 attack, end incitement to terrorism and abandon unilateral international initiatives.
The dispute turns on whether U.S. visa and security authorities can override the country’s obligations as UN host under the 1947 Headquarters Agreement—a question the available sources present as contested, not settled.