As of the latest figures reported on August 19, 2026, the DRC had 5,021 confirmed Ebola cases and 2,378 deaths—a 47.4% crude case fatality ratio. The outbreak is caused by Bundibugyo virus, for which there is no approved vaccine or specific treatment; response efforts therefore depend heavily on early detection, iso...
Research answer

Create a landscape editorial hero image for this Studio Global article: What is known about the Democratic Republic of Congo’s Ebola outbreak—including its cumulative 5,021 confirmed cases, 2,378 deaths, 47.4% ca. Article summary: The DRC is facing an exceptionally severe Bundibugyo-virus Ebola epidemic. The latest government figures reported on 19 August were 5,021 confirmed cases and 2,378 deaths—a crude confirmed-case fatality rate of 47.4%—but. Topic tags: general, government, news, general web. Style: premium digital editorial illustration, source-backed research mood, clean composition, high detail, modern web publication hero. Use reference image context only for broad subject, composition, and topical grounding; do not copy the exact image. Avoid: logos, brand marks, copyrighted characters, real person likenesses, fake screenshots, UI text, readable text, watermarks, charts with
The Democratic Republic of Congo is confronting its largest and deadliest Ebola outbreak on record. The latest figures reported on August 19 showed 5,021 confirmed cases and 2,378 deaths across 55 health zones in six provinces, producing a 47.4% crude case-fatality ratio among confirmed cases.
That total is still moving quickly. WHO said on August 18 that the outbreak was expanding faster than any previous Ebola outbreak and had become the second-largest Ebola outbreak ever recorded globally. It is the largest ever documented in the DRC.
National authorities declared the outbreak on May 15, 2026, after unusual clusters of illness and community deaths were identified. WHO declared the epidemic a Public Health Emergency of International Concern two days later, on May 17.
It is the DRC’s 17th recorded Ebola outbreak since the virus was first identified in 1976. The death toll has now surpassed the 2,299 deaths recorded during the country’s 2018–2020 outbreak, previously its deadliest Ebola epidemic.
The figures should be read as reported confirmed cases, not a complete count of everyone infected. WHO has described intense, sustained transmission, with many cases occurring outside known contact lists and a high proportion of deaths taking place in communities rather than treatment units. Those patterns suggest that some transmission chains may not yet have been detected.
The outbreak is caused by Bundibugyo virus, a species distinct from the Zaire ebolavirus responsible for several previous Ebola epidemics. That difference has major consequences for the response: WHO says there is currently no approved vaccine or specific treatment for Bundibugyo virus disease.
Existing Ebola countermeasures were developed or licensed for other Ebola species, so the immediate clinical response relies on rapid diagnosis, isolation, infection prevention and control, and intensive supportive care. Candidate vaccines and treatments are being assessed, but they are not the same as having an approved, widely available medical countermeasure.
Ebola response teams focus on finding cases quickly and interrupting the routes by which the virus moves through households, health facilities and communities. Key measures include:
These measures are especially important when people become ill at home or when deaths occur before diagnosis. Delayed care can make it harder to identify contacts and safely manage exposure, while unsafe handling of bodies can create additional transmission risks.
WHO and its partners are responding in a setting shaped by insecurity, displacement, remote communities and intense population movement along roads, rivers and mining routes. The outbreak also involves highly mobile and cross-border populations, while misinformation and mistrust can undermine contact tracing, care-seeking and safe-burial efforts.
Those conditions make the official totals potentially incomplete. The available evidence supports concern about undercounting, but it does not establish a precise total number of hidden infections or deaths. Claims about a specific proportion of deaths occurring outside hospitals or about more than 1,000 recoveries should therefore be treated cautiously unless confirmed by an updated official situation report.
WHO has said the risk of further national and international spread remains high and that the outbreak is not under control. That is a warning about the seriousness of the current transmission and the need for faster response—not a prediction that international spread is inevitable.
The wider response is being coordinated by DRC authorities with WHO, Africa CDC and other partners. It includes expanded surveillance, laboratory capacity, contact follow-up, clinical preparedness, supplies, infection-control support and community engagement, along with cross-border preparedness in neighboring countries.
The central challenge is that the outbreak is growing rapidly while the virus involved lacks an approved vaccine or specific treatment. Until response teams can find missed transmission chains and communities can access trusted, timely care, the DRC epidemic will remain a major international health emergency.
Studio Global AI
This page includes a source-backed answer you can continue inside Studio Global.
As of the latest figures reported on August 19, 2026, the DRC had 5,021 confirmed Ebola cases and 2,378 deaths—a 47.4% crude case fatality ratio.
As of the latest figures reported on August 19, 2026, the DRC had 5,021 confirmed Ebola cases and 2,378 deaths—a 47.4% crude case fatality ratio. The outbreak is caused by Bundibugyo virus, for which there is no approved vaccine or specific treatment; response efforts therefore depend heavily on early detection, isolation, supportive care, safe burials and comm...