Trump delayed the planned 50% tariffs on roughly $20 billion in Canadian goods from August 19 until the end of Friday, August 21, 2026, saying the U.S. The pause followed last minute talks between Trump and Prime Minister Mark Carney, while negotiators remained divided over automobile tariffs, including a possible r...
Research answer

Create a landscape editorial hero image for this Studio Global article: What did President Donald Trump announce about pausing the planned 50% tariffs on approximately $20 billion in Canadian goods—including ceme. Article summary: Trump said he had paused the planned 50% duties for three days because, “subject to the finalization of documents,” the United States and Canada “have a DEAL.” The reprieve moved the effective deadline from just after mi. Topic tags: general, government, news, general web, user generated. Style: premium digital editorial illustration, source-backed research mood, clean composition, high detail, modern web publication hero. Use reference image context only for broad subject, composition, and topical grounding; do not copy the exact image. Avoid: logos, brand marks, copyrighted characters, real person likenesses, fake screenshots, UI text, readable text, watermar
President Donald Trump announced late August 18 that he was pausing planned 50% tariffs on roughly $20 billion in Canadian imports that were due to begin at 12:01 a.m. Eastern Time on August 19. The delay lasts through the end of Friday, August 21, giving U.S. and Canadian officials three more days to complete the documents behind what Trump called a deal.
The key caveat is that the announcement did not establish that a final agreement had been signed. Trump said the deal was subject to the finalization of documents, while Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney described the talks as having made “substantial progress” but said important work remained.
Trump said he had paused the tariffs because the United States and Canada “have a DEAL!” The duties would have applied to a broad group of Canadian products, including cement, hockey sticks, wine and liquor, furniture, some clothing, dairy products and other building materials. The affected imports were estimated at about $20 billion.
The tariffs were being imposed as additional duties under Section 338 of the Tariff Act of 1930. The White House said the measure responded to what the administration characterized as Canada’s discriminatory treatment of U.S. goods, particularly in autos, alcohol and dairy.
Trump offered few details about the proposed arrangement, but said the long-canceled Keystone XL Pipeline “may be awoken from the grave.” That comment suggested a possible role for the pipeline in the emerging package, although no finalized terms linking a pipeline revival to tariff relief were announced.
The pause came after more than a week of intensified negotiations. Carney spoke with Trump on Monday and again late Tuesday as the deadline approached. Canadian Trade Minister Dominic LeBlanc and chief negotiator Janice Charette held repeated meetings with U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer; LeBlanc and Charette also met with Greer and Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick shortly before the deadline.
The compressed timetable reflected the uncertainty surrounding the talks. Earlier in August, Canadian officials had said the two sides remained far apart on parts of a draft agreement, even as both governments continued trying to bridge the gaps before August 19.
Autos were one of the central outstanding issues. Negotiators had discussed reducing the existing 25% U.S. tariff on Canadian vehicles to 15% after certain content-based deductions. But the countries disagreed over how to calculate those deductions. Washington favored credit connected to U.S. content, while Canada sought recognition for qualifying content from across North America.
That means the proposed 15% rate was a negotiating concept, not an announced settlement. A final agreement would need to resolve the automobile formula as well as other market-access and tariff questions.
The threatened duties were unusual because they relied on Section 338 of the Tariff Act of 1930, a rarely used authority. The White House said the provision allowed the president to impose additional tariffs in response to discriminatory treatment of U.S. commerce. Reporting described the move as the first known use of the authority to impose tariffs against a foreign country.
The duties were also notable because they were designed to apply to specified Canadian goods even where those products might otherwise receive preferential treatment under the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement.
The U.S. Chamber of Commerce warned that higher tariffs could damage both economies, raise costs for American families and disrupt integrated North American supply chains. It argued that reducing barriers affecting steel, aluminum, lumber and auto components would benefit U.S. consumers, producers, farmers and workers.
The Chamber also linked the stability of the broader USMCA trading relationship to 13 million American jobs supported by trade with Canada and Mexico. That figure describes jobs tied to the regional trade relationship; it does not mean that all 13 million jobs would automatically disappear if the tariffs took effect.
The Friday deadline is best understood as a drafting and resolution window, not proof that the trade dispute has been settled. Officials must turn the reported outline into final documents and resolve remaining issues—especially the treatment of automobiles—before the pause expires.
In practical terms, the immediate tariff shock was postponed, but the underlying negotiation remained unfinished. Until the final terms are published and accepted by both governments, the status of the proposed U.S.-Canada agreement remains provisional.
Studio Global AI
This page includes a source-backed answer you can continue inside Studio Global.
Trump delayed the planned 50% tariffs on roughly $20 billion in Canadian goods from August 19 until the end of Friday, August 21, 2026, saying the U.S.
Trump delayed the planned 50% tariffs on roughly $20 billion in Canadian goods from August 19 until the end of Friday, August 21, 2026, saying the U.S. The pause followed last minute talks between Trump and Prime Minister Mark Carney, while negotiators remained divided over automobile tariffs, including a possible reduction from 25% to 15%.
Trump also suggested the long canceled Keystone XL Pipeline could be revived, but he provided no details on whether it was formally part of the emerging trade package.