After about two weeks of US backed talks, Venezuela’s acting government and part of the opposition reportedly agreed to jointly seek the return of roughly 31 tonnes of gold worth about $4–4.4 billion. If the gold or its proceeds are recovered, an opposition delegate said they could be held in a US Treasury account a...
Research answer

Create a landscape editorial hero image for this Studio Global article: What is the reported agreement between Venezuela’s government and the opposition to recover the 31 tonnes of Venezuelan gold worth about $4. Article summary: Venezuela’s acting government and part of the opposition reportedly agreed, after roughly two weeks of US-backed talks, to make a joint effort to recover about 31 tonnes of central-bank gold held at the Bank of England, . Topic tags: general, general web, news. Style: premium digital editorial illustration, source-backed research mood, clean composition, high detail, modern web publication hero. Use reference image context only for broad subject, composition, and topical grounding; do not copy the exact image. Avoid: logos, brand marks, copyrighted characters, real person likenesses, fake screenshots, UI text, readable text, watermarks, charts with fake numbers,
Venezuela’s acting government and part of the opposition have reportedly reached a rare point of agreement: they will jointly seek the return of about 31 tonnes of Venezuelan central-bank gold held in the Bank of England’s vaults. Current estimates put its value at roughly $4 billion to $4.4 billion.
The reported deal followed nearly two weeks of US-backed negotiations. It is intended to help finance recovery after the country’s June 24, 2026 earthquakes, but it does not mean the gold has been released. The bullion remains tied to a legal and political dispute in the United Kingdom.
The joint position is to pursue the recovery of Venezuela’s international reserve assets held at the Bank of England. The same round of talks reportedly also produced an agreement to restart the process of renewing Venezuela’s Supreme Court justices.
The proposed use of the money is humanitarian and reconstruction-focused. Reported priorities include rebuilding homes and infrastructure, expanding healthcare capacity, clearing earthquake damage and assisting families whose homes were destroyed or who were displaced.
An opposition representative, Ramón López, said that recovered funds would be placed in an account administered through the US Treasury and monitored by qualified international audit firms. However, reporting does not establish whether the arrangement would involve physically transferring the gold, selling it and transferring the proceeds, or using another custodial structure. The US-Treasury detail has also not been publicly confirmed by the Rodríguez administration.
The Bank of England has held roughly 31 tonnes of Venezuelan gold since before the current dispute. Access became contested after the UK stopped recognising Nicolás Maduro’s government in 2018, leaving rival Venezuelan authorities competing over who could instruct the Central Bank of Venezuela and control its overseas reserves.
The issue has therefore been decided through a recognition and litigation dispute rather than by a simple refusal to hand over bullion. UK reporting indicates that the relevant court process must determine which Venezuelan authority has the legal power to direct the gold’s disposition. The Bank of England and Britain’s Foreign Office have not publicly committed to releasing it.
Venezuelan authorities previously tried to access the reserves during the Covid-19 period, proposing that the proceeds be channelled through the United Nations for healthcare. That effort was rejected in UK court proceedings, according to reporting cited in the current account.
The twin earthquakes struck on June 24, 2026 and killed more than 6,000 people, according to contemporaneous reports. The disaster also produced an economic shock estimated at the equivalent of about 6% of Venezuela’s gross domestic product.
The humanitarian emergency arrived as the country was under severe economic pressure. Venezuela’s central bank reported monthly inflation of about 20% in July, while officials identified reconstruction and access to the London-held gold as urgent priorities.
That context helps explain the unusual cooperation. Government and opposition factions that remain divided on political authority have a shared interest in unlocking resources for earthquake recovery. But political consensus inside Venezuela cannot by itself resolve the separate UK legal question.
A US Treasury account would create an external control and oversight mechanism for any recovered funds. Supporters of the proposal present international audits as a safeguard against diversion and a way to reassure competing Venezuelan factions and foreign governments.
The arrangement would also place another Venezuelan state resource within a framework influenced by Washington. Reporting says the United States has controlled the timing and amount of disbursements from Venezuelan export revenues, particularly crude sales. Venezuelan officials have separately sought access to about $4.5 billion in International Monetary Fund Special Drawing Rights and other frozen state accounts in the United States and Europe.
That makes the proposed structure politically sensitive: the agreement could improve accountability, but it could also deepen US influence over how Venezuela’s assets are managed.
The immediate next step is not a bullion transfer. The Venezuelan government and participating opposition groups must make a joint case for recovering the reserves, while the UK legal process must still determine which authority can give valid instructions over the assets.
The most important distinction is between an agreement to seek the gold and a court-approved release of the gold. The first has been reported; the second has not. Until the British legal and custodial questions are resolved, the 31 tonnes remain an intended source of reconstruction funding rather than available cash.
Studio Global AI
This page includes a source-backed answer you can continue inside Studio Global.
After about two weeks of US backed talks, Venezuela’s acting government and part of the opposition reportedly agreed to jointly seek the return of roughly 31 tonnes of gold worth about $4–4.4 billion.
After about two weeks of US backed talks, Venezuela’s acting government and part of the opposition reportedly agreed to jointly seek the return of roughly 31 tonnes of gold worth about $4–4.4 billion. If the gold or its proceeds are recovered, an opposition delegate said they could be held in a US Treasury account and audited by international firms.
The proposed funds would support reconstruction, housing, healthcare and displaced families after the June 24, 2026 earthquakes, while Venezuela faces monthly inflation of about 20%.