Reports differ on the number of wounded: one account cited 35 injured, while another reported 30 wounded in the latest assault. The available reporting therefore supports a range of 30 to 35 injuries rather than one uncontested total.
The Houthis said they were targeting Saudi troops, weapons depots and military equipment near Mokha, using ballistic missiles and drones. Government officials disputed that account and said the attack struck civilian and economic facilities, including the port. Because these are competing wartime claims, the intended target and the full extent of damage cannot be independently established from the available reporting.
Mokha’s importance extends beyond the local battlefield. The port sits near the Bab al-Mandab Strait, the southern entrance to the Red Sea and a key route for international shipping. Its closure raises concerns about Yemen’s trade, maritime access and the possibility that attacks on land could disrupt a wider shipping corridor.
UN Special Envoy Hans Grundberg told the Security Council that Yemen is at its highest risk of returning to large-scale conflict since the UN-brokered truce of 2022. Military activity has intensified across previously frozen front lines, while attacks have caused both military and civilian casualties.
Grundberg also warned that renewed Houthi attacks on commercial vessels in the Red Sea and Gulf of Aden could pull Yemen deeper into the wider regional conflict. His concern is not limited to the number of strikes: the escalation is occurring simultaneously across domestic front lines, port infrastructure and international maritime routes.
The 2022 truce reduced heavy nationwide fighting but did not resolve Yemen’s political conflict. The latest violence therefore threatens to undo a fragile period of relative calm without any final political settlement in place.
On July 20, the Houthis announced what they called a maritime embargo or naval blockade against Saudi shipping. Their military spokesman said the measure was retaliation for what the group described as a Saudi blockade of Houthi-controlled Yemeni ports and airports. Saudi-led coalition authorities warned that they would respond “firmly.”
The Houthis later claimed that they had used ballistic missiles against a Saudi oil tanker, the NCC GHAZAL, saying it had violated the maritime ban. The group said the vessel was forced to retreat, while maritime-security reporting confirmed an incident involving a tanker but did not independently establish every Houthi claim.
The Bab al-Mandab threat has consequences beyond Yemen and Saudi Arabia. Reuters reported that a complete closure of the strait could affect about 7% of global oil supply, although that figure describes a potential disruption rather than a confirmed current loss of supply.
Rashad al-Alimi, chairman of Yemen’s Presidential Leadership Council, said future Houthi actions would not go unanswered and that the group would no longer be allowed to decide alone when Yemen goes to war or peace.
Al-Alimi also rejected another temporary truce or simple ceasefire. He argued instead for what he called sustainable peace based on a state monopoly over weapons and sovereignty. His proposed path would require the Houthis to lay down their arms, enter political life and compete in elections as a political actor.
That position narrows the space for a quick return to the previous truce model. It also shows the central political dispute behind the military escalation: whether Yemen’s future security arrangements can include an independent armed Houthi movement, or whether all weapons must ultimately come under state control.
The renewed fighting is unfolding while Yemen already faces severe humanitarian needs. The UN reported that more than half of the population is experiencing acute food insecurity, with millions facing emergency levels of food deprivation.
Humanitarian operations are also being constrained by a lack of funding. UN relief chief Tom Fletcher said the appeal was barely 20% funded and warned that shortages were forcing cuts to rations, clinic closures and the disappearance of protection services.
The available evidence supports a growing risk of hunger, displacement and reduced aid access, particularly if attacks continue to disrupt ports and frontline communities. It does not establish that famine has been declared nationwide. The immediate concern is that renewed fighting could push already vulnerable communities from crisis into more severe food insecurity.
An oil spill off Iran’s Qeshm Island in the Strait of Hormuz was being cleaned up during the wider regional conflict. That incident was not a spill in Yemen, but it illustrates how the broader Iran-linked confrontation has produced environmental consequences alongside military and humanitarian damage.
The headline military figure is 181 operations in 24 hours, announced by Yemeni military spokesperson Colonel Majid al-Nazili. The reported campaign used drones, artillery and rocket launchers against Houthi positions, depots, vehicles and other military assets, but its casualty and destruction claims remain battlefield assertions.
What makes the escalation especially dangerous is its breadth: civilian areas in Marib have been hit, Mokha Port has suspended operations after more than 25 missile strikes, and the Houthis have extended their confrontation to Saudi-linked shipping. With the UN warning that Yemen is closer to renewed large-scale war than at any time since the 2022 truce, the conflict now threatens to deepen both Yemen’s humanitarian crisis and instability around the Red Sea.