Declared on May 15, 2026, the DRC’s Ebola outbreak has reached 4,945 confirmed cases and 2,325 deaths—more than the 2,299 deaths recorded in 2018–2020. The outbreak is concentrated in Ituri but has spread across multiple provinces and health zones.
Research answer

Create a landscape editorial hero image for this Studio Global article: What is known about the Democratic Republic of the Congo’s Ebola outbreak declared on May 15—including its death toll of 2,325 and 4,945 con. Article summary: The DRC’s Ebola outbreak, declared on 15 May 2026, has become the country’s deadliest recorded epidemic. The latest reported government figures are 4,945 confirmed cases and 2,325 deaths—including 101 new cases in 24 hou. Topic tags: general, government, news, general web. Style: premium digital editorial illustration, source-backed research mood, clean composition, high detail, modern web publication hero. Use reference image context only for broad subject, composition, and topical grounding; do not copy the exact image. Avoid: logos, brand marks, copyrighted characters, real person likenesses, fake screenshots, UI text, readable text, watermarks, charts with
The Democratic Republic of the Congo’s Ebola outbreak has crossed a historic threshold. Government figures reported on August 16 show 4,945 confirmed cases and 2,325 deaths, including 101 newly detected infections in the preceding 24 hours. That death toll surpasses the 2,299 deaths recorded during the country’s 2018–2020 epidemic, making the current outbreak the deadliest in the DRC’s history.
The outbreak was officially declared on May 15 after laboratory confirmation of Bundibugyo virus disease in Ituri Province. The situation is changing quickly, and figures from different reporting dates should not be compared as though they were simultaneous.
UN officials have described the outbreak as the fastest-growing Ebola epidemic on record. One UN assessment said it was killing roughly one person every 30 minutes, underscoring how quickly the response is being outpaced.
The reported case-fatality ratio has also risen sharply. WHO recorded a 44% crude case-fatality ratio in the DRC as of July 30, while later reporting placed it near 46% to 47%. Earlier in the emergency, the proportion was reported at about 20%.
That increase does not necessarily mean the virus itself has become more lethal. A major concern is that people are being identified too late for effective care and after they may have exposed others. Between 60% and 70% of new infections were reportedly being detected among people who were not already being monitored as contacts, a sign that transmission chains remain difficult to find.
Ituri Province is at the heart of the outbreak, accounting for roughly 90% of reported cases and 80% of deaths in one mid-August assessment. The outbreak had also reached 53 of the DRC’s 140 health zones across five affected provinces by August 13.
The geography matters. Remote communities are harder to reach, while fragile health services limit access to testing, isolation and clinical treatment. Armed conflict and insecurity can prevent health workers from traveling safely, disrupt supply routes and make contact tracing incomplete. Population movement adds another layer of risk, particularly across provincial and national borders.
This outbreak is caused by Bundibugyo virus, a species of Ebola for which there is currently no approved vaccine or specific treatment. WHO says candidates are being studied, but the lack of licensed countermeasures leaves responders at a disadvantage compared with outbreaks caused by Zaire ebolavirus, for which approved tools exist.
That makes early diagnosis, supportive clinical care, infection prevention and control, contact monitoring and community cooperation especially important. The response cannot rely on a single medical intervention to halt transmission.
The UN has released an additional $30.5 million from its Central Emergency Response Fund, building on earlier support for the DRC and neighboring countries. It has called for safe-burial capacity to double and treatment capacity to triple.
The operational priorities are broad:
Funding is essential, but money alone cannot solve the access problem. Teams also need security, transport, reliable supplies, trained staff and sustained cooperation in communities affected by conflict.
The CDC says it is responding to Bundibugyo virus disease in remote areas of both the DRC and Uganda, while assessing the risk to the general American public and travelers as low. No outbreak-associated cases had been confirmed in the United States in the CDC’s August 12 update.
For the region, however, the priority is continued cross-border surveillance. Movement between affected areas can make it harder to identify where an infection was acquired and can allow undetected transmission chains to persist.
Expanding the Ebola response creates a difficult humanitarian trade-off. Health workers, transport, laboratories and funding are finite, and diverting too many resources could weaken routine and emergency services, including malaria care and treatment for other serious illnesses.
The central lesson from the current figures is that the crisis is not defined only by the death toll. It is also a test of whether responders can detect infections earlier, reach communities safely, scale up treatment and maintain the wider health system at the same time. The next phase will depend on sustained international support and effective local engagement—not just a short-term surge of funding.
Studio Global AI
This page includes a source-backed answer you can continue inside Studio Global.
Declared on May 15, 2026, the DRC’s Ebola outbreak has reached 4,945 confirmed cases and 2,325 deaths—more than the 2,299 deaths recorded in 2018–2020.
Declared on May 15, 2026, the DRC’s Ebola outbreak has reached 4,945 confirmed cases and 2,325 deaths—more than the 2,299 deaths recorded in 2018–2020. The outbreak is concentrated in Ituri but has spread across multiple provinces and health zones.
The virus is Bundibugyo ebolavirus, for which there is no approved vaccine or specific treatment; the UN has released an additional $30.5 million as responders seek to expand care and surveillance.