Since August 9, 2026, Israeli settlers have besieged three Palestinian homes in Qusra, cutting water and electricity, trapping families — including a Palestinian American household — as the IDF delayed intervention fo...
Research answer

Create a landscape editorial hero image for this Studio Global article: What is the full account of the ongoing settler siege in the Palestinian village of Qusra, including the attackers' return and assault on mu. Article summary: Here is a full account of the ongoing crisis in Qusra, based on the latest reporting (up to Aug 14–15, 2026).. Topic tags: general, news, general web. Style: premium digital editorial illustration, source-backed research mood, clean composition, high detail, modern web publication hero. Use reference image context only for broad subject, composition, and topical grounding; do not copy the exact image. Avoid: logos, brand marks, copyrighted characters, real person likenesses, fake screenshots, UI text, readable text, watermarks, charts with fake numbers, clickbait thumbnails, icons, and tiny thumbnail layouts. Make it useful as an illustrative visual, not as fac
For six days in August 2026, the Palestinian village of Qusra in the occupied West Bank became the focal point of an escalating crisis as Israeli settlers besieged three homes, cutting off water and electricity, while the Israeli military delayed intervention, U.S. officials issued unusually sharp condemnations, and an internal IDF investigation was launched into the military's own conduct.
Starting Sunday, August 9, 2026, dozens of Israeli settlers besieged three Palestinian homes on the outskirts of Qusra, a village south of Nablus in the occupied West Bank . The settlers cut water and electricity, blocked deliveries of food and medicine, and prevented the families — including one Palestinian-American household from Ohio — from leaving their homes
. The United Nations said 15 Palestinians were trapped in a "state of terror"
.
On August 12, Israeli troops briefly clashed with settlers and dismantled an illegal outpost tent, but then withdrew . The settlers returned and re-established their siege positions, while IDF troops stood by for days without intervening
. By August 13, the IDF had effectively put the village on lockdown, deploying troops inside Palestinian homes and forcing two of the besieged families to leave their properties
. The mayor of Qusra, Abdul Karim, said the army declared the area a closed military zone, blocking journalists and activists — but not the settlers
.
On August 14–15, settlers attacked municipal crews who arrived to restore water and electricity to the three homes . According to the mayor, Israeli forces intervened — but detained four of the electricity workers and blocked their vehicle instead of removing the settlers
. As of August 15, at least 18 settlers remained in the area, continuing to surround the properties
.
On August 14, the IDF announced it would investigate its own conduct in Qusra . The probe covers:
A military representative called it "a serious incident" that would be investigated .
The crisis has exposed a jurisdictional void. Defense Minister Israel Katz stripped the army of authority over settler crimes earlier in 2026, shifting enforcement to the police — a move rights groups say was designed to insulate settlers from prosecution . Both the military and the police referred questions about arrests in Qusra to the other agency
. Far-right coalition figures, including Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich (himself a settler leader), have resisted any crackdown, viewing the settlers as a core political constituency
. Smotrich is currently fighting for political survival ahead of October elections, limiting Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's room to act against settlers
.
The Biden administration mounted significant diplomatic pressure. The White House wants Prime Minister Netanyahu to publicly condemn the settler violence — something he had not done as of August 14 .
U.S. Ambassador Mike Huckabee, a longtime staunch supporter of Israeli settlements, issued an unusually sharp rebuke . On August 13, he posted on X calling the settlers "Israeli terrorists" and describing the siege as a "horrific act of terror"
. He said the U.S. Embassy had directly requested that Israeli security forces remove the settlers
. However, Huckabee also defended the broader settler movement and the IDF, saying the crisis did not reflect on settlements in general
.
The UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) reported that Israeli forces blocked medics, solidarity activists, and journalists from reaching the besieged families . A UN Security Council briefing on August 12 described conditions in the West Bank as having reached a "breaking point"
. The UN human rights office said Israeli forces "seem to have blocked" humanitarian access, and that even after soldiers dismantled settlers' tents, settlers continued to surround the homes
.
The Qusra siege is unfolding inside a much larger pattern:
As of August 15, 2026, the standoff in Qusra continues, with settlers still present and the IDF probe into the military's own delayed and reportedly complicit response just getting underway .
Studio Global AI
This page includes a source-backed answer you can continue inside Studio Global.
Since August 9, 2026, Israeli settlers have besieged three Palestinian homes in Qusra, cutting water and electricity, trapping families — including a Palestinian American household — as the IDF delayed intervention fo...