This barrage was not an isolated event. It followed a wave of Houthi missile and drone attacks on al-Makha in the preceding days. On August 10, a Houthi strike on the same city killed at least 11 people . On August 11, fresh ballistic missile strikes targeted both al-Makha and residential areas in Marib, coming just a day after attacks that killed at least 7 and injured 30
.
The August attacks are part of a major escalation that began on July 20, 2025, when the Houthis formally announced a "maritime embargo" on Saudi Arabia, declaring they would block Saudi-linked shipping through the Bab el-Mandeb Strait . Houthi military spokesman Yahya Saree said the group would "respond to the blockade with a blockade and to all escalation with escalation" . The declaration came after a July 13 strike on Sanaa International Airport, which the Houthis blamed on Saudi Arabia .
Since the blockade was announced:
Senior Houthi figures have explicitly threatened to continue and intensify attacks. In an August 14 interview, a senior Houthi figure told ITV News that the group wants to "teach Saudi Arabia a lesson" and threatened to escalate attacks against Saudi ships in the Red Sea . Houthi military spokesman Yahya Saree previously vowed to continue targeting Saudi military buildups and concentrations, warning that further Saudi reinforcements in Yemen would be met with more strikes . Houthi leader Mahdi al-Mashat, upon announcing the July 20 blockade, said the strike on Sanaa airport "will not go unanswered" and framed the blockade as a "siege for siege" response . On August 13, X suspended Yahya Saree's account, reflecting the profile his statements had gained as a primary channel for Houthi operational claims .
The Houthi campaign against Saudi Arabia escalated sharply after the July 20 maritime blockade declaration. By mid-August, the group was striking Saudi energy infrastructure (Najran and Jazan Aramco facilities), bombarding Yemeni government-held port cities (al-Makha) with ballistic missiles, and publicly threatening to intensify attacks on Saudi shipping through the Bab el-Mandeb. Saudi authorities did not confirm the Najran strike but did confirm the earlier Jazan refinery fire. The cumulative effect has been significant disruption to Red Sea shipping and the opening of a new, dangerous front in the regional conflict.