August 4: In a sharp pivot, Bessent told CNBC that the U.S. and Iran could reach a deal "Tuesday or Wednesday" to reopen the Strait of Hormuz with freedom of movement for commercial ships . This was the high-water mark of diplomatic optimism. President Trump also said he had called off a major attack on Iran over the weekend, underscoring that the military option remained live alongside the economic pressure campaign
.
August 7: The Treasury sanctioned crypto exchanges Shelbit and Aban Tether, accusing them of helping Iran evade financial restrictions .
August 13–14: In an interview on Newsmax and subsequent statements, Bessent escalated dramatically. He declared the U.S. would apply measures "like have never been seen in the history of economic isolation on a country," vowing a combination of economic isolation and additional sanctions to be announced the following week . A U.S. defense official also stated that the naval blockade of Iranian ports could be maintained "indefinitely" .
Bessent's August 4 statement was the high-water mark for diplomacy. He expressed confidence a deal was imminent "today or tomorrow" . But the talks collapsed within days. By August 6, Iran's parliamentary committee was reviewing a bill to ban U.S. and Israeli vessels, and by August 7, Iran announced its joint agreement with Oman to control passage — a unilateral move the U.S. immediately rejected
. The U.S. rejection of Iran's terms, combined with the missile attack on an ADNOC tanker on August 8, ended the diplomatic track
.
On August 6, Iran's state-run Fars news agency reported that the National Security Committee of Iran's parliament was reviewing a preliminary bill that would:
The bill is titled the "Strategic Action for the Security and Sustainable Passage of the Strait of Hormuz" .
On August 7, Iran claimed its joint agreement with Oman would enforce these bans . On August 10, Iran's Parliament's National Security and Foreign Policy Committee approved the bill, moving it toward a full parliamentary vote
.
Under the plan, non-hostile commercial vessels would be allowed passage but would be charged tolls, effectively turning the strait into a revenue tool for Tehran .
15 vessels attacked since the war began (February 2026) — ADNOC stated on August 7 that 15 of its vessels had been attacked in the waterway, significantly impacting operations and resulting in one death .
August 8 attack — A missile struck an ADNOC tanker transiting the Strait of Hormuz in the early hours. No casualties were reported. The UAE Foreign Ministry condemned "the hostile Iranian attack," and Saudi Arabia, Qatar, and other Gulf states condemned it as well .
August 13 attack — Two more ADNOC vessels were attacked while transiting the strait on Thursday evening. Again, no injuries were reported . This brought the total number of attacks on ADNOC vessels since February to 16
.
Iran claims it has reached a deal with Oman to jointly manage and control transit through the Strait of Hormuz. Under this claimed agreement, Iran asserts the right to ban U.S. and Israeli vessels and impose tolls on others . The U.S. has rejected this framework entirely, calling Iran's efforts to "monetize the strait" illegitimate
. Oman has not independently confirmed the scope of the agreement claimed by Iran, creating a dispute over whether any such bilateral arrangement can override international maritime law guaranteeing freedom of navigation.
The Strait of Hormuz crisis is the latest escalation of a broader war triggered by the U.S.-Israeli air campaign against Iran that began in February 2026. Multiple sources reference "since the war began in February" and "since the regional conflict began" . The ADNOC tanker attacks are described as the 16th assault on UAE oil tankers since the conflict started. Iran has imposed an effective blockade of the strait throughout this period
.
The Strait of Hormuz is the world's most critical oil chokepoint, handling about one-fifth of the world's oil transports per day under normal conditions . Iran's effective blockade has severely disrupted tanker traffic. The U.S. has designated Iran's actions as efforts to "monetize the Strait of Hormuz," and the disruption has forced shipping companies to seek alternative routes, raising costs and insurance premiums
.
These conditions were reported by multiple outlets as Iran's maximalist negotiating position, and the U.S. rejected them, leading to the collapse of talks and Bessent's vow of unprecedented economic measures .
Iran's conditions explicitly linked the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz to broader regional ceasefire terms. Tehran demanded that any de-escalation in the strait must be accompanied by an expanded ceasefire covering both Lebanon and Gaza, tying the Hormuz crisis to the wider Israel–Hamas war and the Israel–Hezbollah front . This linkage made a narrow deal on the strait impossible from the U.S. perspective.
Bottom line: Bessent's strategy moved from diplomatic optimism (Aug 4) to targeted sanctions on tankers, insurers, and crypto networks (late July–Aug 7), and culminated in a threat of "unprecedented economic isolation" (Aug 13–14). The diplomatic window closed when Iran pushed a parliamentary bill to ban U.S./Israeli ships, imposed tolls, attacked ADNOC tankers, and demanded U.S. naval withdrawal, sanctions relief, and regional ceasefire expansion — terms the U.S. could not accept.