Valverde was taken to a nearby hospital, where Real Madrid’s medical team diagnosed him with a cranioencephalic trauma — a form of traumatic brain injury. The club confirmed he was released in “good condition” but ordered him to rest for 10 to 14 days under medical protocol. The injury ruled him out of the season-defining El Clásico against Barcelona and the remainder of the campaign .
Real Madrid responded swiftly. On May 8, the club opened formal disciplinary proceedings against both players . Each was fined €500,000 (approximately $589,000), with the club stating the financial penalty “thereby concludes the matter”
. No sporting sanctions — such as suspensions or match bans — were imposed. Both players expressed “complete remorse” for their roles in the incident, according to club sources
.
Behind the scenes, the fight triggered a crisis meeting involving Real Madrid executives, the coaching staff, and senior players. The gathering was convened to address what was described as a profound breakdown in dressing-room cohesion, with reports citing “internal deterioration” and “growing division” at Valdebebas .
Valverde, for his part, issued a public statement denying that punches were thrown. He said the head injury occurred when he “accidentally hit a table” during the argument .
Nearly a month after the incident, Tchouaméni broke his silence from the French national team camp. His message was pointed: the media had exaggerated what happened.
“A lot of nonsense was said,” Tchouaméni told reporters, dismissing claims that he had punched Valverde as “false stories” . He acknowledged that “things happened” but insisted the situation was “blown out of proportion” because of Real Madrid’s global profile
.
Most critically, he stressed that the relationship with his teammate is no longer an issue. “There is no problem,” he said repeatedly, adding that both players have moved on and are now focused on their respective World Cup campaigns . Should France face Uruguay during the tournament, Tchouaméni claimed, “it would be a pleasure to compete against him”
.
His comments echo earlier remarks from Valverde, who also described the incident as a “pointless fight” that had been “exaggerated” . Both players have publicly signaled a desire to draw a line under the episode.
The fight between Tchouaméni and Valverde did not happen in isolation. It was the explosive symptom of a disastrous 2025–26 campaign for Real Madrid, a club that finished the season without a single major trophy for the second consecutive year.
The back-to-back trophyless seasons mark the first time in 16 years that Real Madrid has gone consecutive campaigns without major silverware . The season was marred by managerial instability — with Xabi Alonso replaced mid-season by Álvaro Arbeloa — erratic on-field performances, and a growing sense of crisis behind the scenes
.
Public discontent boiled over in extraordinary fashion when a petition calling for Kylian Mbappé to be sold gathered 30 million signatures . Reports from inside Valdebebas described a squad suffering from “internal deterioration,” with the Tchouaméni–Valverde confrontation seen as a moment where the fractures finally broke open
.